Monday, 4 January 2010
Have you seen this? Words cannot even begin to explain my feelings towards this. Conservapedia, the self proclaimed "trustworthy encyclopedia" is an website much like Wikipedia but with a 'conservative Christian' bias. They set out to remove the liberal bias which they see as rampant in the mainstream media such as Wikipedia. They have gone so far the other side it's not funny. However they could be forgiven if it wasn't for this:
The Conservative Bible Project
It's awful. They have set out to re-write the Bible from a conservative point of view, or 'correctly' as they claim. Their site states:
"As of 2009, there is no fully conservative translation of the Bible which satisfies the following ten guidelines:
1. Framework against Liberal Bias: providing a strong framework that enables a thought-for-thought translation without corruption by liberal bias
2. Not Emasculated: avoiding unisex, "gender inclusive" language, and other feminist distortions; preserve many references to the unborn child (the NIV deletes these)
3. Not Dumbed Down: not dumbing down the reading level, or diluting the intellectual force and logic of Christianity; the NIV is written at only the 7th grade level
4. Utilize Powerful Conservative Terms: using powerful new conservative terms to capture better the original intent; Defective translations use the word "comrade" three times as often as "volunteer"; similarly, updating words that have a change in meaning, such as "word", "peace", and "miracle".
5. Combat Harmful Addiction: combating addiction by using modern terms for it, such as "gamble" rather than "cast lots"; using modern political terms, such as "register" rather than "enroll" for the census
6. Accept the Logic of Hell: applying logic with its full force and effect, as in not denying or downplaying the very real existence of Hell or the Devil.
7. Express Free Market Parables; explaining the numerous economic parables with their full free-market meaning
8. Exclude Later-Inserted Inauthentic Passages: excluding the interpolated passages that liberals commonly put their own spin on, such as the adulteress story
9. Credit Open-Mindedness of Disciples: crediting open-mindedness, often found in youngsters like the eyewitnesses Mark and John, the authors of two of the Gospels
10. Prefer Conciseness over Liberal Wordiness: preferring conciseness to the liberal style of high word-to-substance ratio; avoid compound negatives and unnecessary ambiguities; prefer concise, consistent use of the word "Lord" rather than "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" or "Lord God.""
Honestly, it's enough to make one go crazy! How are we supposed to understand the Bible when people start with a bias and translate the Bible accordingly, or even in some cases leave out verses with a 'liberal bias' such as Lk 23:34; 'Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."' No, I'm not joking.
If you want to read some of what they have managed to abuse you can find the Conservative 'Bible' so far on their page (link above). I for one hope it dies a death, and quickly.
For further info BW3 has posted on this and even has videos!
Till Next Time!